Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mr Nippy

Here's a subject which everyone should enjoy - the ice cream van! They're not called Mr Whippy here, all the ones I've seen are labeled "Hemglass" or "home ice cream" in English. Like their Australian counterparts, they drive around selling desserts to the little kiddies (and the not-so-little kiddies) while their enticing sound effect plays over the loudspeaker, to let you know that they're in the area. These ones don't play Greensleeves, instead they repeat something like
Doo-bee-doo-bee-do (CEGEC)
Doo-bee-doo-bee-do (CEGEC)
Bah-doo-bee-doo-bee-doo (CFFDDC)
I am guessing the notes at the moment as I don't have a musical instrument here with me in Ronneby.
Anyway, what I find hard to get over is how late into the year these guys are peddling their wares. I saw one just last week when it was under 10 degrees. Swedes do seem to like their ice cream, no matter how cold it is outside. Hence why I think a good name for them would be "Mr Nippy".
In the photo below, a few people are queuing up at the Hemglass van as it visited the apartment block next to mine.